There’s no artificial flavouring here! These carrot cake ice cream cones are the real deal, and perfect for enjoying on a hot summer’s day.
SERVES 20 // COOKING TIME 3–4 hours 30 min
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup water
4 carrots, peeled and grated
1 L vanilla ice cream, softened
½ cup chopped pecans, plus extra for cones, finely chopped
½ cup chopped dried fruit, plus extra for cones, finely chopped
1 tsp mixed spice or Chinese five-spice
1 tsp vanilla essence
50 g white chocolate
1. Bring the sugar and water to the boil, heating until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add the carrots and boil for 10 minutes, until a thick syrup forms. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then drain any excess syrup.
3. In a bowl, mix the ice cream, carrots, pecans, dried fruit, spice and vanilla. Transfer to an air-tight container and freeze for 3–4 hours.
4. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl. Dip the rim of each cone into the melted chocolate and then into the finely chopped dried fruit and nuts. Set aside to harden.
5. Serve the ice cream in the decorated cones.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
These pancake lollies with berry syrup are another fun summer treat to try!