Haddock is a delicious, and budget-friendly fish. So if you love good food, and want to save some bucks, this smoked haddock dish has your name on it!
SERVES 6 // COOK TIME 60 mins
400 g ready-made puff pastry
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
50 g butter
50 g flour
450 ml milk
450 g smoked haddock, skin and bones removed, flaked
Salt and black pepper
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an ovenproof dish with ⅔ of the pastry, pressing it up against the sides.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes, until translucent. Remove and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a pot, then stir in the flour. Remove the pot from the heat and add the milk gradually, stirring to combine. Return to the heat and continue cooking, stirring continuously, until thickened. Stir in the haddock and season. Set aside to cool.
4. Once cool, spoon the mixture into the pastry case. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and cover with the remaining pastry. Crimp the edges with a fork and brush the top with egg wash.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, until the pastry is golden and flaky.
We are so lucky to live in a country where we have beautiful, fresh seafood by the plenty. A traditional paella, like this one, is always a crowd-pleaser at dinner parties or lazy Sunday lunches.