These savory pepper scones are the perfect way to start off the weekend! Serve with your regular bacon and eggs, and you’re good to go!
SERVES 12 // COOK TIME 45 mins
4 cups self-raising flour
Pinch cayenne pepper
100g butter, chilled and cubed
2 cups grated cheddar
100g salami, finely chopped
6 spring onions, finely chopped
1 red or green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
1½ cups milk, plus to brush
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a large baking tray.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour and cayenne pepper. Rub in butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in 1½ cups cheese, salami, spring onions and red or green pepper. Season well.
4. Add milk, cutting it into the dry mixture until combined. Don’t over-mix.
5. Turn out the scone mixture on to a floured surface and cut 12 rounds with a round cutter or the edge of a glass.
6. Arrange the scones on the baking tray in a large circle, edges just touching. Brush the tops of the scones with a little extra milk, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
7. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden. Serve warm with butter or cottage cheese.
English muffins are a breakfast classic, but sometimes we need a little protein, and some veggies, to keep us fuller for longer!