Have some leftover loaf lying in the kitchen? Or maybe your rolls are stale? Rather than throwing it away, make this yummy savoury bread pudding to have as a side for supper or to serve at your next social event.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
3 onions, finely chopped
80 g butter
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Leftover baguette, torn into pieces
200 ml cream
200 ml milk
100 g feta, crumbled
1 bay leaf
Handful spinach, ribs removed
¼ cup grated cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Cook the onions and butter over medium heat, stirring often, until the onions are golden. Remove from the heat and add vinegar.
3. Place the bread on a baking tray and toast for 10–12 minutes.
4. Combine cream, milk, feta, eggs and bay leaf.
5. Place the toasted bread in a baking dish, top with onion and spinach, stir in the egg mixture and top with cheese.
6. Bake for 35–40 minutes, until puffed up and golden on top.