This tender roast lamb with garlic, tomato sauce and comforting veggies is the perfect meal to make if you are having friends over this weekend!
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 kg leg of lamb, on the bone
10g rosemary, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
Salt and pepper
1 garlic bulb, halved
8 Roma tomatoes, quartered
4 pickling onions, peeled and halved
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
10g thyme leaves
2 tsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Rub the oil on to the leg of lamb and sprinkle on the rosemary. Season.
3. Place one half of the garlic bulb on a baking tray. Top with the lamb and cover with foil. Roast in the oven for 60–75 minutes, or until the centre of the meat reaches 58°C. Remove from the oven and allow to rest, still covered, for 15 minutes.
4. Place the tomatoes and pickling onions on another baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Peel the remaining garlic cloves and add to the tomatoes, along with the thyme. Season. Roast for 30 minutes.
5. Place half of the roast tomatoes, onions and garlic in a pot and blitz with a hand blender until smooth. Put the pot over medium heat and add the sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer and season.
6. Slice the lamb and serve with the garlic and tomato sauce, remaining roast tomatoes, onions and garlic, garnished with rosemary.
Oh my shish kebab! A fuss-free recipe for some flavourful kebabs, perfect for a Sunday braai.