We share everyday breakfast ideas but with a twist
Swirl honey through the cooked oats and garnish with sliced citrus, kiwi and chopped nuts.
Whisk vanilla seeds into heated milk and swirl through oats. Top with halved figs, pomegranate rubies and edible flowers.
Mix fresh raspberries and gooseberries through the cooked oats and finish off with fresh mint leaves and walnuts
Nut butter blast
Add a sliced banana, peanut butter and toasted coconut to the cooked oats. Drizzle with honey.
Turn this ordinary pantry staple into something extraordinary with the addition of just a few simple ingredients.
Blueberry and mint smoothie
- 1 tub blueberries
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tbsp honey and 1 cup plain yoghurt
- Pour into a serving glass and garnish with fresh blueberries, extra toasted oats and fresh mint.
Apricot and apple granola bars
Makes 12 Bars
- 2 cups of toasted oats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chopped dried Turkish apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apples and a handful of fresh blueberries in a large bowl
Press the mixture into a lined 23x23cm baking tray and level using the back of a spoon. Chill in the fridge for an hour before slicing into bars.
Oats on the go
Once you’re at the office, follow these simple steps to make a delicious bowl of oats in a dash:
In a bowl
- Place 1/4 cup uncooked oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar and pour over 1/2 cup boiling water
- Cover and microwave on high for about 3 minutes (keep an eye on it)
- Remove and stir through 1/4 cup milk
- Microwave once more for about 3-4 minutes and give it a good stir
- Add 1 tbsp butter, another splash of milk and microwave for 1 minute
- Stir through and enjoy immediately.
Makes 4 Cups
- Heat 1/4 cup honey and 1/3 cup butter in a saucepan to create a syrup
- Combine 3 cups of oats and 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Add the syrup and stir to combine
- Spoon the mixture onto a greased baking tray and bake at 160°C for 15 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add 1 cup chopped dried fruit to the tray, then stir and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until golden
- Remove from oven, stir through 1/4 cup coconut flakes and the zest of one lime
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight containe
When you see ‘toasted oats’, don’t rush off to the shops. Toast the uncooked oats in a pan or in the oven for 3-5 minutes before incorporating it into your dish.