Did you know that chickpea fudge is a traditional Indian treat? And although they contain plenty of indulgent sugar, the chickpea flour gives them a healthy dose of protein.
MAKES 20 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
6 cardamom pods
370g chickpea (gram) flour
⅓ cup milk
2 cups melted butter, plus extra to grease
125g icing sugar
2 tbsp powdered milk
1. Fry the cardamom pods in a dry pan. Crush in a pestle and mortar, discard the pods and grind the seeds to a fine powder.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the chickpea flour and milk.
3. Pour the melted butter into a large pot set over medium heat and add the chickpea flour mixture. Cook for 50 minutes, stirring continuously, until the mixture turns dark caramel.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
5. Pour into a greased tin and leave to set. Cut into squares and serve.