Warm up your winter mealtimes with this tasty beetroot and ginger soup recipe. It will keep you healthy and tickle all your taste buds!
For the soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
7 medium beetroots, peeled
4 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
4 ½ cups vegetable stock
¾ tin coconut cream
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp oil
¼ tin coconut cream
½ cup parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrot, and fry until the onions are cooked through.
3. Chop the beetroot into small pieces and add them to the pot along with the ginger. Fry for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes until the beetroot is tender.
5.Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Slowly pour in the coconut cream and blend again.
6. To make the croutons, coat the bread in olive oil. Place on the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Toss halfway through.
7. To serve, spoon soup into bowls, drizzle with remaining coconut cream and top with parsley and croutons.
Quick tip: If you prefer a thicker, more creamy soup, reduce the amount of vegetable stock to 3 cups.
Recipes & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Andreas Eiselen
This Italian veggie and bean soup is hearty and filling – perfect for a nutrient-dense meatless Monday that won’t leave you missing the meat. Ribollita is also a lovely way to use up stale bread or bread crusts.