Tap into the tang of the season’s superb citrus in our sweet, salty and sour chicken thigh dish.
Fennel and citrus roasted chicken thighs
Serves 4 • Total Time 1 Hr 20 Min
2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ orange, zested and juiced
½ lemon, zested and juiced
Salt and milled black pepper
8 chicken thighs
2 Tbsp olive oil
400g baby fennel bulbs
1 orange, sliced in rounds
1 grapefruit, sliced in rounds
1 lemon, sliced in rounds
2 Tbsp brown sugar
500g baby potatoes, halved and parboiled
300g Brussels sprouts, halved
¼ cup cultured cream or sour cream
1 Tbsp chopped fennel or dill
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Crush fennel seeds, garlic and citrus zest using a pestle and mortar.
- Season chicken and rub with oil and fennel-citrus mixture.
- Arrange fennel bulbs and citrus slices on a greased baking tray.
- Place chicken on top and pour over citrus juice.
- Sprinkle with sugar and roast for 15 minutes, basting regularly with pan juices.
- Add potatoes and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Add Brussels sprouts and roast for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Mix cultured cream and herb fronds together in a bowl. Season.
- Serve chicken and vegetables topped with herby cultured cream.