Panza-what? A panzanella is a refreshing Tuscan-style salad characterised by the addition of bread soaked in dressing. Although this salad only takes a little while to whip together, you need to remember to set aside some time for the bread to soak up all that yummy flavour.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 75 mins
200 ml olive oil
½ large stale ciabatta, cut into 2 cm cubes
200g baby marrows, thickly sliced
Salt and cracked black pepper
2 red onions, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
100g Parma ham
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
½ cup basil, plus extra to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Heat ¼ cup oil in a pan and fry the bread for 10 minutes, tossing often, until golden brown.
3. Toss the baby marrows in 1 tbsp olive oil, season and arrange on a baking tray. Roast for 15 minutes, until lightly charred.
4. Melt the butter over low heat and fry the onions for 25 minutes, until soft and caramelised.
5. Whisk together the garlic, vinegar, mustard and remaining oil. Season.
6. Place all the ingredients in a bowl, drizzle with half the vinaigrette and toss to mix. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the flavour.
7. Season, garnish with extra basil and serve with the remaining vinaigrette.