These tasty, doughy pampoenkoekies, also known as fritters will transport you back to your South African school bake sales
MAKES 15–20 • TOTAL TIME 1 hour
FOR THE PAMPOENKOEKIES
Pumpkin, cooked and mashed 250 g
Nutmeg ¼ tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Milk ¼ cup
Flour 1½ cups
Baking powder 1 tsp
FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR
Brown sugar ½ cup
Cinnamon 2 tsp
1. Boil or steam the pumpkin until soft. Mash until smooth and cool.
2. Beat through the egg, nutmeg, salt and milk.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder, then add to the pumpkin and mix until combined.
4. Add a 2 cm layer of oil to a deep pan over high heat.
5. When hot, add large spoonfuls of the batter to the pan and fry until the fritters are golden on the one side before flipping, about 30 seconds. As the fritters cook, they will start puffing up. Make sure the oil isn’t too hot as you want the inside of the fritters to cook before the outside gets too dark.
6. Combine the sugar and cinnamon on a plate. As the fritters finish frying, drain them on some paper towel, then toss on the sugar to serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve these delicious fritters as they are or with the traditional caramel sauce.
Stylist: Jezza-Rae Larsen
Photography: Callen Jefferson/hmiages.co.za
For another great local recipe try these Mosbolletjie Muffins With Honey Butter