We made these espresso-vanilla muffins with vanilla pods. You only need the seeds for this recipe, but you can stick the leftover pods into your sugar jar for a subtle flavour.
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 35 min
125g butter, at room temperature
⅔ cup caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup milk
¼ cup espresso
2 cups self-raising flour
¼ vanilla pod, seeds only
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Beat the butter until it is soft, then beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, a little at a time, until completely mixed in.
3. Mix the milk and espresso. Stir into the butter mixture bit by bit, alternating with the flour to form a soft batter. Mix in the vanilla seeds.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
5. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.