Roast onions on the braai are a must the next time you light up the fire. Stuff them with your favourite cheese (we used Parmesan) and they will quickly become an outdoor favourite.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 55 min
4 small onions, peeled
Olive oil, to fry and drizzle
4 sprigs rosemary, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup grated Parmesan
½ cup thick cream
Salt and pepper
1. Get your fire going.
2. Boil the onions in a pot for 15 minutes, or until slightly tender. Remove from the pot and leave to cool.
3. Remove the top 2–3 cm of each onion, finely chop and set aside. Trim the base of each onion so it sits upright. Scoop out about 1 tbsp from the inside of each onion, making sure to keep the outer layers intact. Chop the insides and set aside.
4. Fry the onion off-cuts, half the rosemary and all the garlic until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add half the Parmesan and all the cream. Season.
5. Spoon some of the mixture into each onion. Sprinkle with the remaining rosemary and Parmesan, and drizzle with a little oil, then wrap the onions in tinfoil.
6. Cook the onions on the braai grid for about 25 minutes, until they are tender.