Beans are anything but boring, especially when they are mixed into this Mexican classic. Our black bean enchiladas are filled with rich wintery staples such as tomatoes, peppers and spices. We finish ours off in the oven, to get that golden cheesy topping we all know and love. Dig in!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 75 min
¼ cup olive oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp dried origanum
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 × 400g tin chopped tomatoes
400g tin red kidney beans
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
Juice of 1 lemon
2 chicken breast fillets, sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup tinned sweetcorn
1 cup sour cream
2 cups grated cheddar
1. Heat a little oil and fry 1 onion until soft, 5 minutes. Add 2 garlic cloves and fry for 1 minute.
2. Add flour, origanum, chilli powder and 1 tsp cumin.
3. Add 1 tin chopped tomatoes, beans and sugar. Simmer, while stirring, for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens. Season.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C and grease an ovenproof dish.
5. Mix 2 tsp cumin, coriander, paprika, lemon juice and 2 tbsp olive oil. Coat the chicken and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat oil and fry the remaining onion, garlic and pepper until soft. Remove from the pan, then fry chicken until golden and cooked through.
7. Return the onion mixture to the pan. Add the sweetcorn and remaining chopped tomatoes. Season. Simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Divide the mixture between the tortillas and roll up. Pour half the sauce into the dish and pack in tortillas. Cover with the rest of the sauce, dot with sour cream and cover with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.