Rice is an incredibly versatile staple that can be enjoyed in many ways. Feast on these savoury rice balls any way you want, and don’t hold back on the cheese!
MAKES ±30 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp salt
1½ cups Arborio rice
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
200 g mozzarella, cut into 1 cm cubes
100 g breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
1. Place onion, salt and 3 cups water in a pot and bring to the boil. Add the rice and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain through a sieve. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix together the cooled rice, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, until you have a thick, doughy mixture.
3. Roll the rice into balls about the size and shape of small eggs.
4. Make a dent in each ball with your finger and push in a cube of mozzarella. Squeeze closed.
5. Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Roll the rice balls in the crumbs to coat.
6. Heat the oil in a pot and fry the balls in batches until golden brown. Serve straight away.