Waste not, want not! This is wonderfully creative option to serve your guests as a starter or a side option. You can leave the carrot salad slightly warm for the colder months and save when you buy your carrots with their tops still attached from your local market. And if you have some leftover, you can add them to your salad as leafy greens. They are especially delicious sautéed with olive oil and garlic.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 mins
1 bunch carrots
¾ cup olive oil
½ tsp cumin seeds, crushed
50g flaked almonds
100g sunflower seeds
40g Parmesan, grated
15g basil, plus extra to garnish
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Trim the tops off the carrots. Wash well and set aside to use in the pesto. Peel the carrots and cut in half.
3. Toss the carrots with 2 tbsp oil and the cumin seeds. Place on a baking tray and cook for 20–25 minutes, until slightly charred. Remove and let cool.
4. Roast the nuts in a dry non-stick pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, until slightly brown.
5. In a food processor, blitz 1 cup of carrot tops, remaining oil, sunflower seeds, Parmesan, basil and garlic to form a coarse paste. Season and add a little more oil if needed to reach the desired consistency.
6. Mix the cooled roast carrots and the nuts. Serve the pesto on the side or drizzle it over. Garnish with the extra basil.