Veggie burgers don’t get much better than this! Make some fragrantly-spiced cannellini-bean burgers and serve them topped with rocket, feta, brinjals and a drizzle of red wine vinegar. Pop it all into some pitas so that none of the goodness falls out the bottom.
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 egg, beaten
½ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup flour
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
1 brinjal, sliced into 1 cm disks
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
100g feta, crumbled
½ cucumber, halved and sliced
2 pita breads
20g rocket, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a frying pan set over medium heat, fry the garlic, celery and carrot in 1 tbsp vegetable oil until soft. Add the paprika and cumin to the pan and fry for another 30 seconds.
3. Transfer the cooked mixture into a food processor and combine with the cannellini beans, egg, breadcrumbs, flour and parsley until just mixed. Season and shape into four patties 12 cm in diameter.
4. Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in the same pan and fry the patties until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
5. Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the frying pan and brown the brinjal slices on both sides. Drain on paper towel and season with salt.
6. Combine the olive oil and red wine vinegar in a small bowl.
7. Toss the dressing with the feta and the sliced cucumber, and season. Warm the pita breads in the oven for about three minutes, then cut in half.
8. Fill each pita half with a veggie patty, brinjal, feta and cucumber salad, and a few rocket leaves.