If you’re looking for a quick meal that is full of comforting flavours, our appetizing steak and chips with pepper sauce is sure to do the trick!
SERVES 4 // COOK TIME 45 min
6 potatoes, cut into chips
80 ml vegetable oil
2 tsp salt, plus extra to season
4 flank steaks (±180g each)
2 tsp cracked black pepper, plus extra to season
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
150 ml cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with foil.
2. Mix the chips with the oil and salt in a bowl. Place on the baking tray.
3. Bake for 35–45 minutes. Give a good shake after 25 minutes. (Be careful: if you do this before the chips have crisped up, they will simply break apart.)
4. Heat a pan to medium-high. Pop the steaks in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side (see left for our guide to cooking times). Sprinkle with salt and pepper as you cook.
5. Shake around and slide the steaks out of the pan. Allow to rest for 10 minutes while you make the sauce.
6. Melt the butter and fry the pepper and garlic for a couple of minutes, until the butter starts to turn brown. Add the cream and simmer for 5–8 minutes to reduce.
7. Serve the well-rested steaks with the chips and pepper sauce on the side.
Whether you are craving a quick, delicious meal or you’re looking for a way to use up last night’s leftover roast beef, we’ve got the recipe for you- Shredded beef couscous.