If you are craving nachos (silly question, right?), go meat-free with our bright and beautiful recipe.
1 large mielie
2 tsp paprika
200g cream cheese
2 cloves garlic minced
20 ml soy sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
Salt and black pepper
250g tortilla chips
140g cheddar, grated
1 large spring onion, sliced
1 large green pepper, finely cubed
2 large avocados
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 bird’s-eye chillies, sliced, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Slightly char the mielie until tinged black. Add the butter and paprika, toss through and fry for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside. Slice the kernels off the cob once cooled.
3. Mix the cream cheese, garlic, and soy and tomato sauces. Season to taste.
4. Place the tortilla chips on to a baking tray. Dollop the cream cheese sauce over them, then scatter the cheese, spring onion, green pepper and fried mielie kernels on top. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden.
5. Split the avocados, remove the pit and mash with lemon juice, then season.
6. Divide the nachos on to plates and scatter the tomatoes on top. Garnish with the bird’s-eye chilli and serve with avocado on the side.