All you need is a stove, a large pan and these lasagne ingredients to brink Italy into your kitchen.
No-bake stovetop beef lasagne
Serves: 4 //Total time: 1 hour
Glug of olive oil
1 onion, chopped
500g beef mince
Salt and milled pepper
1 Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried Italian mixed herbs
8-10 lasagne sheets, par-cooked
1 jar (400g) tomato passata or 1 can (400g) tomato purée
1 ½ cups beef stock
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
½ cup each grated mozzarella and cheddar
Fresh basil leaves, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and fry onion for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add mince, breaking into small chunks. Allow mince to caramelise for 5–10 minutes (don’t stir), then season well.
- Stir in garlic, tomato paste, chilli flakes, paprika and herbs, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add par-cooked lasagne sheets, tomato passata or purée and stock.
- Press the pasta sheets into the liquid to submerge, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring gently every 5 minutes. (Make sure the pasta is always covered in sauce and not sitting on top.)
- Stir in lemon juice and zest, top with cheese and season.
- Cover and cook for another 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve straight from the pan, garnished with fresh basil.