This Mexican bean orzo recipe is the perfect dish to make on a chilly evening. It’s warm, comforting, AND you likely already have most of the ingredients!
SERVES 4–6 // COOK TIME 30 min
2 onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cups baby tomatoes
15 g parsley, chopped
1 L vegetable stock
300 g orzo
400 g tin kidney beans Cheddar, grated
1. Heat some vegetable oil and fry the onions and garlic until translucent.
2. Add the baby tomatoes and chopped parsley, and cook for 3–4 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to soften.
3. Add stock and bring to the boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add beans and cook for 5 minutes, until they are heated through and pasta is al dente.
5. For a fancy garnish, fry teaspoons of grated Cheddar in a non-stick pan until crispy.
Did you know: Orzo is is actually a form of short-cut pasta, it’s only shaped like a large grain of rice.
Recipes & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Samantha Pinto
For another Mexican style dish try our Mexican pulled chicken on brinjal steaks recipe, its low carb but still packing all the flavour!