With tomorrow being the official first day of summer, make the most of the season’s bounty by whipping up this fruity melon ice cream, no churn required!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 40 min, plus freezing time
3 tbsp custard powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
600 ml milk
150 ml cream
200 ml condensed milk
¼ tsp vanilla essence
750g sweet melon, peeled, seeded and flesh puréed
1. In a bowl, mix the custard powder, caster sugar and 2 tbsp of milk to make a smooth paste.
2. Add the rest of the milk in a small pot over medium heat, leave until almost boiling. Gradually pour the hot milk into the custard paste, while stirring.
3. Pour the custard mixture back into the pot and simmer for 1–2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the cream, condensed milk and vanilla essence, then set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Pour into a plastic container and place in the freezer for 2 hours, until half-frozen.
5. Take out of the freezer and transfer to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the ice cream until smooth. Add the melon purée and beat again. Pour back into the container and place in the freezer overnight.
6. Scoop balls of the ice cream into bowls to serve.