Just one more sleep until Christmas! Why not keep the little ones busy and their festive spirits high by getting them into the kitchen to make these themed marshmallows. Just don’t forget to encourage them to leave some for Father Christmas!
MAKES 10 // COOKING TIME 90 mins
20g gelatin powder
135 ml water
3 egg whites
Cornflour, to sprinkle
1. Line a 20 × 20 cm dish with cling film and spray it with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle the gelatin powder over 50 ml water. Set aside to soak.
3. Place the sugar, honey, glucose and 85 ml water in a pot. Bring the mixture to 125°C on a sugar thermometer.
4. Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. (Start when the sugar mixture reaches 110°C. By the time it has reached 125°C, the egg whites should be ready.) Then remove the sugar mixture from the heat and start adding it to the egg whites with the mixer on full speed.
5. Melt the gelatin in a pot over medium heat, while still whisking the egg/sugar mixture. Add the melted gelatin, then add the food colouring. Stop whisking when the mixture is thick and glossy.
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared dish and smooth it out. Work fast, as it sets quickly. Let it stand for an hour or two until set.
7. Gently invert/remove the set marshmallow from the dish and sprinkle both sides with cornflour. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out tree shapes. Make sure all sides of the marshmallows are covered with the cornflour. Store in an airtight container.