Impress your guests with a flavour combination that will get your heart racing and everyone around the table talking.
SERVES 8 // HANDS-ON 15 min // HANDS-OFF 75 min
3 tbsp ground coffee
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp onion flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1.6 kg silverside beef
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large leeks, thinly sliced
1 garlic bulb, halved
100g butter, at room temperature
80g dark chocolate, grated
½ tsp chilli flakes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Using a mortar and pestle or hand blender, grind the coffee, sugar, salt, onion flakes, paprika, pepper, coriander and cumin seeds to a fine powder. Rub the Dijon mustard over the surface of the meat and coat in the spice mix.
3. Drizzle the oil on a baking tray. Add the leeks and garlic and place the meat on top. Cover with foil.
4. Roast for an hour, until the centre of the meat reaches 53–58°C. Remove from the oven and rest for 15 minutes.
5. Combine the butter with the dark chocolate and chilli flakes. Roll up in cling film to create a tight cylinder and twist both ends. Chill in the fridge until set.
6. Carve the roast and serve it in its own gravy, topped with slices of the chocolate-chilli butter.