Craving sushi? These bright red beauties are delicious and also super healthy. When you are making your quinoa sushi rolls, if the quinoa is not sticky enough, simply add a tsp of cornflour to make the mixture easier to roll up.
MAKES 16 // COOKING TIME 60 min
1 cup red quinoa
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
4 sheets nori
100g Norwegian salmon, thinly sliced into strips
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 avocado, thinly sliced into strips
1 beetroot, cut into matchsticks
1. Cook the quinoa as per the instructions on the packet. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt together, and pour over the rice. Mix until well incorporated.
3. Place a sheet of nori on a sushi mat and evenly spread ¼ cup quinoa over it, leaving a 5 cm strip at the top uncovered.
4. Arrange ¼ of the salmon, carrots, avocado and beetroot in a thin row across the middle of the quinoa.
5. Lift up the edge of the mat closest to you and roll it away from you, encasing the filling and ensuring the ingredients stay in place.
6. Dampen the uncovered section of nori with a few drops of water to seal the roll.
7. Wrap the roll in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until set.
8. Dip a sharp knife into the rice vinegar and allow it drip down the blade. Use the knife to cut the sushi roll into about four 5 cm rounds.
9. Serve the rolls with pickled ginger and wasabi.