This spinach and feta cannelloni recipe shows you how to get the better of your carb craving. The cold season’s appetite for oozing decadence is best met in the comfort of your home.
Spinach and feta cannelloni
TOTAL TIME 1 HR 10 MIN
Glug olive oil 2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Handful fresh thyme
2 bags (300g each) spinach or Swiss chard, finely chopped
3 discs feta, crumbled
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp chilli flakes
1 tsp smoked paprika
For the white sauce
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
3 cups milk
Salt and milled black pepper
3 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
¼ cup grated Parmesan or mature Cheddar
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté onions for 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach or Swiss chard to pan and wilt while stirring. Remove from heat.
- For the white sauce, melt butter in a saucepan and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Add milk a little at a time while stirring until thickened. Stir through nutmeg and season well.
- Place spinach mixture into a dry tea towel and squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- Add spinach to a bowl and stir through feta, mustard, chilli flakes, paprika and season with black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Add ¼ cup of white sauce to a greased deep baking dish and spread to cover the base.
- Fill each cannelloni tube with spinach and feta mixture and arrange side-by-side in prepared baking dish.
- Pour over remaining sauce to cover cannelloni.
- Sprinkle with thyme and cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Serve hot.
For more on comfort food, read A Mac n Cheese Recipe With a Twist.