This tasty and comforting deep dish pizza recipe is inspired by the US. Did you know that this type of pizza is the most popular in Chicago?
SERVES 6–8 // TOTAL TIME 1 HR 10 MIN
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
Butter 1 tbsp
Red onion, finely chopped ½
Tomato paste 1 tbsp
Chopped tomatoes 1 can
Sugar 1 tbsp
Dried oregano 1 tsp
Dried basil 1 tsp
FOR THE PIZZA
Store bought pizza dough 700 g
Grated mozzarella 2 cups
Italian sausages 4
Grated Parmesan to taste
FOR TOMATO SAUCE
1. Heat the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft. Add in tomato paste and fry for 1 minute. Add in the chopped tomatoes, sugar and herbs, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer on low for 15–20 min.
FOR THE PIZZA
1. Preheat oven to 230ºC and coat the bottoms and side of a large springform cake tin with cooking spray.
2. Roll out your pizza dough on a lightly floured surface until 1 cm thick. Line your cake tin with the dough.
3. Sprinkle over 1 cup mozzarella cheese and top with the Italian sausage.
4. Pour over the tomato sauce and top with the Parmesan and remaining mozzarella. Bake for 25–30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5–10 minutes.
Styling: Jezza-Rae Larsen
Stylist’s assistants: Sjaan van der Poleg & Kirsty Buchanan
Photography: Chanelle Naudt/hmimages.co.za
Nothing says soul food like classic fare from the American south. Try out these sweet and savoury fried chicken and waffles with salted syrup.